Expand phrases in Excel

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
Antopath

Post by Antopath » Dec 10th, ’20, 18:39

Hi all ! I'm new to this forum and this my first post.
So, thank you in advance for all the patience I'll be asking to you.
Maybe this is a silly question but the problem is central to my profession and you are my last chance !! :)
In excel, FastKeys expands phrases composed by multiple lines of text by splitting and entering each line in the next adjacent lower cell, instead of putting all the lines only in one cell.
Have you ever come across this peculiar behaviour ? Could please try and verify it ?.
Due to my incompetende ......... I'm absolutely sure that this depends on my low tech knowledge so I'm here to ask you, FastKeys Gurus a little help !!!!!

Thank you
:)
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 10th, ’20, 20:04

Not dumb at all, good question.

FastKeys sends the keys exactly as you would type including the Enter between the lines. In Excel you need to use Alt+Enter for a new line within the same cell. To simulate this do the following:

- enable the option "Enable modifiers (!+^#)" in Preferences/Text Expander.
- make the following command (Type: Send):

Code: Select all

Text!{Enter}Text!{Enter}Text
!{Enter} means Alt+Enter.
Antopath

Post by Antopath » Dec 11th, ’20, 09:39

Great Marko !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Antopath

Post by Antopath » Dec 11th, ’20, 10:11

Sorry Marko but the problem so far solved with Excel made a new issue popping out.....
The phrase:

The quick brown
fox jumps over
the lazy dog

is expanded correctly in Word and is splitted in consecutive cells in Excel.
The same phrase, written in FastKeys with the command !{Enter} at the end of the line:

The quick brown!{Enter}fox jumps over!{Enter}the lazy dog

Expands in only one cell in Excel whereas doubles each line with the command in Word keeping them together without the return command:

The quick brownThe quick brownfox jumps overfox jumps overthe lazy dog
Marko

Post by Marko » Dec 11th, ’20, 15:24

I suggest to make a separate phrase for Word and Excel. You can even use the same abbreviation with different Window option (use Window Information Tool to find the proper window name or class).