Introduce preferences for a default suffix for Text Expander and a selectable immediate override

Suggestions, feature requests and bug reports.
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator » Apr 1st, ’20, 23:04

The idea of having one place to put a default prefix for Text Expander is great but does not work for me. Please consider introducing a similar item in preferences - default SUFFIX and a tick box to make all Text Expander strings immediate if set.
I have used this method extensively (in a less friendly but very capable macro program) and it works well for me. Reasons:
1) I prefer to type an obvious abbreviation string then confirm with a selected character for immediate execution - it avoids errors.
2) This allows abbr strings of both 'eomb(char)' and 'eom(char)' (for, say, 'end of month date backwards' and 'end of month date' whereas using the prefix method fires up the expander on 'eom' so 'eomb' never works.
3) To do this currently I have to set the chosen validation character as the last character for each abbr string then set the immediate option. So at present the validation character cannot be easily changed for all items.

I have only been using your excellent program for a week and have unhesitatingly purchased it. Its a delight to find your elegant, superbly presented, friendly and powerful program. I've already programmed macros for flexible date arithmetic and to send the last day of this or last month in different formats. I'm sure you could do it better but its great that I can do it at all. Keep up the good work!
Marko

Post by Marko » Apr 2nd, ’20, 12:40

Aren't the ending characters (Preferences/Text Expander) what you need?
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator » Apr 2nd, ’20, 16:10

Thanks for your thoughts Marko.

If (say) I use "#" as a trigger character and add it to the Ending characters, I have to set every phrase (rather than a preference operating on all phrases) to "delete ending character" or the "#" gets typed. But if I set "delete ending character" the normally occuring ending characters cannot be used in the flow of typing because they too are removed so have to be typed twice.

I guess I was hoping to get a solution where the normal ending characters get typed but the chosen trigger end character does not, and where the chosen trigger can be set as an overall preference so it can be changed easily for all phrases.

Using other software (not as nice as FastKeys, hence my change to your program) I was able to set the CTRL key as an end key. By this I mean CTRL pushed down on its own (not held down while another key is pressed). This solves all the problems without any other change because it sends no printable characters and allows other ending characters like space to be typed normally instead. Is it possible to add the CTRL key to your boxes for Space, Tab, Enter in preferences to make this possible?
Marko

Post by Marko » Apr 2nd, ’20, 18:55

Thanks for clarifying, I see what you mean. Unfortunately, non-character modifier keys cannot be set as ending characters so Ctrl key is not an option.

We may think of the solution where the user would be able to set a separate set of ending keys (characters only) which would not be shown after triggering. The other alternative would be to allow user to change the "Delete ending character" option for multiple entries at once.
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator » Apr 3rd, ’20, 13:33

Hi Marko.

1) Your first solution is a clear winner for me. Specifically I would like to be able to set a second global ending key (or selection of keys) which would immediately trigger any abbreviation string and not be shown after triggering. Obviously the key(s) in this second set could not also be included in the first set. Actually, I can't think why I would want more than one key in this 'suffix' set, but I guess flexibility is good.

2) Your second suggestion is not really an alternative because changing the "Delete ending character" option for multiple entries at once, while potentially convenient, still leaves us with the problem that the normally occurring ending characters cannot be used normally in the flow of typing because they too are removed so have to be typed twice.

Many thanks for your thinking - would you be prepared to enhance FastKeys as in (1) above please?
Marko

Post by Marko » Apr 4th, ’20, 09:13

We will test the possibilities. Which would be the typical suffix characters?
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator » Apr 4th, ’20, 10:44

For me they would be keys that are easy to get to, are not likely to be used immediately after another character and preferably don't require shifting. On a UK keyboard obvious candidates are "#" and "`".

If you would like my help in testing just ask.
Marko

Post by Marko » Apr 9th, ’20, 21:58

Default suffix character was implemented in 4.26. Please let me know how it works for you.
procrastinator

Post by procrastinator » Apr 11th, ’20, 16:36

Hi Marko

Wow that was quick! Following the update it works exactly as expected in Text Expander (including in Phrase Files).

Two things for other users to note:
1) In Preferences>TextExpander deselect "Display suggestions as you type" so that the chosen default suffix triggers the macros.
Otherwise, after the third character of the abbreviation is input the process is taken over by the display of suggestions and you have to be watching the screen so you can react appropriately. Auto Complete phrases continue to work whether or not the "Display suggestions as you type" preference is set.
2) It is important that Text Expander items individually have their "Trigger immediately" box left unset.
Otherwise the macro item will not wait for the default suffix but be triggered as soon as the abbreviation (eg "tym") is typed. This will prevent another longer abbreviation which uses the same start characters (eg "tymp") from being used (unless "Display suggestions as you type" is set, but see note above).

These behaviours are as expected.

Brilliant support! Brilliant software! Thank you for an incredible response.

Best regards