I really need to set two char suffix to triger textexpansion

Discussion, questions and support.
Mojito

Post by Mojito » Feb 22nd, ’19, 06:19

I've grown accustomed to using "//" at the end of my trigger words (coming from PhraseXpress) and in found it difficult trying to adjust... and to add, i really needed to use same trigger words :(

To explain, I normally just have {triggerphrase}//

... as soon as i type the 2nd "/"
the automation executes

Then if there are 2 or more profiles using the same trigger word, i am given a selection of which one to trigger..

In PhraseXpress, i create the following triggers:

1. email//
2. email//
3. email//

3 different entries for my 3 different email addresses/actions but only 1 trigger phrase...

when i type

"email//"

PhraseXpress brings up options 1 2 and 3 accordingly.

This is really streamlined way of using triggers w/o needing to remember the word for each one you want

when i want to insert bank details, i simply type bank//

etc..

I dont like the way FastKeys open suggestions as i type and having similar wordings for triggers bring up mixed suggestions i need not see.

I really hope there's a way to mimic the above-described functionality in FastKeys. I've explored the software and so far this is the only stumbling black that's stopping me from buying a license.

If FastKeys cant have the same trigger words, i can perhaps make things slightly different like

email-work
email-gmail
email-family

but i need to tame FK to bring up suggestions only when i hit that double slash "//"

like "email" + "//"

the word "email" brings up suggestions already in FK, but i dont want that.
i want FK to stay put and give me suggestions only when ask for it , signaled by typing "//"

Looking forward to some help

Thank you
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 22nd, ’19, 19:56

You can easily do this in FastKeys. For example:

String: email//
Type: Send
Substitute:

Code: Select all

My Mail:: mail1@mail.com
/My AltMail:: mail2@mail.com
/Office Mail:: mail3@mail.com
/mail4@mail.com
Options: Enable Trigger immediately option.

Please learn more about various possibilities in https://fastkeysautomation.com/documentation/Send.html
In the example above I used multiple substitutes and description prefix.

If you don't like "Show suggestions when you type" option, you can disable it. Or you can adjust various options in Preferences/Auto Complete.
Mojito

Post by Mojito » Feb 24th, ’19, 00:40

Marko wrote: Feb 22nd, ’19, 19:56 You can easily do this in FastKeys. For example:

String: email//
Type: Send
Substitute:

Code: Select all

My Mail:: mail1@mail.com
/My AltMail:: mail2@mail.com
/Office Mail:: mail3@mail.com
/mail4@mail.com
Options: Enable Trigger immediately option.

Please learn more about various possibilities in https://fastkeysautomation.com/documentation/Send.html
In the example above I used multiple substitutes and description prefix.

If you don't like "Show suggestions when you type" option, you can disable it. Or you can adjust various options in Preferences/Auto Complete.
Hi

I tried this out,

doesn't work coz as soon as i've completed the word "test" the darn thing is triggered... it's like fastKey is ignoring the slashes

this is my textExpander settings

:(
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 24th, ’19, 21:48

Sorry, I forgot... the "/" is also the default Separator character - you need to change it to something else in Preferences/Text Expander.
;)
Mojito

Post by Mojito » Feb 25th, ’19, 01:19

Marko wrote: Feb 24th, ’19, 21:48 Sorry, I forgot... the "/" is also the default Separator character - you need to change it to something else in Preferences/Text Expander.
;)

Holy crap, that's it! I just had to change the default separator character ... now i feel much more at home with fastkeys
thanks a bunch man, and thanks to you, im definitely purchasing this software :)

Cheers