Auto fill the subject & body of an email without using mailto:

Discussion, questions and support.
vrod5454

Post by vrod5454 » Apr 18th, ’18, 02:45

Hi,

I would like to auto populate the subject and body of an outlook email without using the mailto: + command. Allow me to explain... I receive emails from a web contact form. In the body of this email there is a "your email" field that gets populated when the person enters their email address and it is auto linked with a "mailto:" by the webform. When I get the web form email in Outlook all I need to do is click on the "Your email:" email and a new email starts with the correct to: email populated.

So next would be for me to text expand my reply - this works great right with FastKeys. It looks like this:

.myreply expands to
------
SUBJECT: Thank you for contacting us

Hi %cursor%,

Thank you for contacting us. For more information, please download our brochure here.

Thank you,
------

Currently, I then CRTL +X the SUBJECT and CRTL + V that into the subject field of the email and then manually enter the user first name at %cursor%.

My question is... Is there a way to have the SUBJECT automagically paste into the subject field and the text paste into the body of the email.

Any ideas to automate this process are welcome. Even if it is a different approach.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Victor
Tom

Post by Tom » Apr 18th, ’18, 12:59

You can simulate pressing Tab key to move between entry fields. For example, you can first select a Subject field, then send the following (notice the {Tab} at the end of first line):

Code: Select all

SUBJECT: Thank you for contacting us{Tab}
Hi %cursor%,
Thank you for contacting us. For more information, please download our brochure here.
Thank you,
What is the cursor position when a new mail window opens? You can add tabs at the beginning of the above string to locate the Subject field first.
{Tab} - simulates pressing Tab key - moves to next field
+{Tab} - simulates pressing Shift+Tab - moves to previous field
etc...
vrod5454

Post by vrod5454 » Apr 18th, ’18, 13:58

Hi Tom,

This worked great. I went with

Thank you for contacting us{Tab}
{Backspace}Hi %Cursor%, 
Thanks,
Victor

Tom wrote: Apr 18th, ’18, 12:59 You can simulate pressing Tab key to move between entry fields. For example, you can first select a Subject field, then send the following (notice the {Tab} at the end of first line):

SUBJECT: Thank you for contacting us{Tab}
Hi %cursor%,
Thank you,
What is the cursor position when a new mail window opens? You can add tabs at the beginning of the above string to locate the Subject field first.
{Tab} - simulates pressing Tab key - moves to next field
+{Tab} - simulates pressing Shift+Tab - moves to previous field
etc...