Problems with browsers

Discussion, questions and support.
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 25th, ’13, 15:32

Hi,

I have problems using FastKeys with browsers: I'd like to use Text Expander functionality to fill web forms in browsers. I'm using the default "My Abbreviations" phrase file in which I added all my abbreviations (name, email, address, etc.). When a webpage presents me a form to fill, and I use my abbreviations, they're not intercepted/processed by FastKeys. If I try the abbreviation in notepad application they work as expected. I put nothing in the window field, my understanding is that if I put "Chrome, Explorer" in that field, the abbreviations will work *only* in that field, if it's empy it should work in every app.

Can you please advice? I just bought the license because I see you very active in development and responsive on this forum.

Thanks a lot,

Alessandro
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 25th, ’13, 16:21

Hi Alessandro,

If it runs in Notepad it should run in browsers too, there is no difference. If Window field is empty (check if there are no characters there), the command will run in every application. There are also a global window context settings under Preferences, Text Expander - Only active in/Not active in - please check if they are empty too.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 25th, ’13, 18:12

Hi Marko,

I had already checked those settings, everything is empty: Window field and "Only/Not active in" fields.

While I'm writing this post (with Chrome), I'm trying the abbreviations set and nothing happens, if I switch to notepad and try them they work perfectly, so I'm sure it's something related to the browsers.

If it may help you, I'm coming from PhraseExpress which had the same issue, and I'm thinking it's something related to Windows 8.1, I just upgraded to it a couple of weeks ago, and PhraseExpress started having the same issue in the browsers. Now I decided to switch to FastKeys, for different reasons, and I thought I would also solve this problem but unfortunately I keep having it.

I hope you can help me debug this one.

Thanks,

Alessandro
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 25th, ’13, 19:20

I'm also on 8.1 and cannot reproduce this behavior. As I write now (Firefox) I can use text expander normally. Could you add a new single text expander item, save it and try if it works?
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 25th, ’13, 19:55

Ok, there's definitely something wrong: I cannot add a new item, or more precisely I cannot edit the substitute section, when I click on edit and input text then save, and I reopen I find the substitute field empty.

I tried also editing the default strings (kr, etc.) and I also find those empty.

I'll try reinstalling but I think there's something else...
Alex DP

Post by Alex DP » Nov 25th, ’13, 20:09

Problem found: it was the identity protection module of my new antivirus (Webroot SecureAnywhere). It prevents apps to steal personal information data. In order to do so, I guess it monitors the clipboard and the keyboard at low-level so it prevents apps like FastKeys and PhraseExpress to work as expected. Unfortunately it doesn't notify of anything it blocks, it does it in background (that's a bad thing) that's why I didn't think about it immediately.

Now I can start configuring FastKeys as I want to. :)

Thanks for the help Marko.
Marko

Post by Marko » Nov 25th, ’13, 23:41

Thanks Alex, this is good to know. I'm glad it is solved now.