Sharing Text Expander Strings

Discussion, questions and support.
pwncpa

Post by pwncpa » Sep 20th, ’15, 17:23

Hi - I am using the trial version seeing if it might work for my workgroup. I would like to be able to be able to install this on multiple machines in my office, and point people to a common folder so that we all are using the same Text Expander strings. I see that I can set the folder locations for a few of the settings, but I don't see it for the Text Expander function. Is this possible? Thanks!
gustms

Post by gustms » Sep 20th, ’15, 22:29

Use Phrase Files for saving all the text expander strings, and point FastKeys to those Phrase Files.

Create a text file with *.fkp extension in the shared folder, add a new Text Expander entry in fastkeys, and choose Phrase File in the type dropdown menu. Open the file you created, and edit it accordingly using the Edit File button.

That should work.
pwncpa

Post by pwncpa » Sep 21st, ’15, 00:52

Thanks for the reply! Still not really able to do this. Are you saying I need to save my existing text expander data file? Maybe you can give me a little more detailed instructions?
Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » Sep 21st, ’15, 15:52

pwncpa wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Still not really able to do this. Are you saying I need to save my existing text expander data file? Maybe you can give me a little more detailed instructions?
No, he means just create a new, empty file with the .fkp extension (say, with notepad and renaming it to change its extension), place it wherever you want and open it with the steps he mentioned... Pretty straight forward :)
Marko

Post by Marko » Sep 24th, ’15, 00:08

this is the easiest way to create a new Phrase File:

- in Text Expander module select Insert/New Empty File menu,
- select your shared folder on the left and then choose a File name, press Save,
- double-click on newly created Phrase File item and then press Edit File button to add strings to the phrase file.

As already explained, you can always edit the fkp file manually, it's a text file. For a few users, you can also save your main Settings.fdb file to a shared location - File/Save As...
pwncpa

Post by pwncpa » Sep 25th, ’15, 22:11

Thanks for your help! I got it figured out.