Move Cursor in Phrase Files

Discussion, questions and support.
dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Feb 28th, ’22, 06:36

I have a Phrase file that includes these 2 Trigger Immediately phrases:
::test1,,::This is test line 1.`nThis is test line 2.{Left 10}
::test2,,::This is test line 1.`nThis is test line 2.{Left 10}{Up}

When triggered, the 1st phrase executes as I was expecting and types the phrase and then moves the cursor 10 characters to the left.

The 2nd phrase also types the phrase, but instead of moving the cursor 10 characters to the left and then up 1 line, it actually types out the entire cursor movement keys as text instead of moving the cursor. The output results are as follows:
This is test line 1.
This is test line 2.{left 10}{Up}

I also tested other bracket {} keys and combinations such as {Tab}, {Right}, {Up}, {Down}, {ShiftDown} & {ShiftUp}. It appears that the {Left} cursor movement is the only one that actually works as I expected. Should all of these keys work for cursor movement? I know that they work outside of a Phrase file as a Send command, but I have lots of phrases that contain cursor movements and they are much easier to setup/enter using a text editor with a Phrase file.

I am new to this, so am I doing this correctly or do these cursor movement keys not work in Phrase files?
Tom

Post by Tom » Feb 28th, ’22, 09:56

This should work. I tried the exact settings on my computer with no issues. Do you use any special triggering options (More options)?
dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Mar 1st, ’22, 05:11

Tom wrote: Feb 28th, ’22, 09:56 This should work. I tried the exact settings on my computer with no issues. Do you use any special triggering options (More options)?
Tom, thanks for the quick response.

The only option that I'm using for this Phrase file is Trigger immediately. Maybe I'll try loading FastKeys on another machine and test this there.
dtaylor

Post by dtaylor » Mar 2nd, ’22, 05:34

Well, after lots of testing, I found the cause of this issue and wanted to post in case others experience this.

I had previously made changes to the Preferences/Text Expander/Advanced - Use clipboard if text length setting due to a comment in another post. I had set this to a very low value. Apparently, when the expansion text is more than this value, FastKeys will only paste the cursor movement key text rather than performing the action of cursor movement key.

Increasing this value to a higher value resolves this issue, but causes larger text content to be much slower while FastKeys "types" the text content.