[solved] FastKeys won't start

Discussion, questions and support.
reiner.block

Post by reiner.block » May 8th, ’21, 08:29

Hi,

I don't know what happend but suddenly FastKeys won't start anymore.

Every time now I get a message saying "Another version of FastKeys is currently running. Please close it and try again."

But that is BS because there is no other process with that or any similar name. I checked the process with ProcMon64 from SysInternals and "Task Manager Deluxe", both to no avail. I didn't find any file access or registry access to see if FastKeys checks if it is already running.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm not doing right here? :(

Asking greetings
Reiner
Last edited by reiner.block on May 8th, ’21, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.
reiner.block

Post by reiner.block » May 8th, ’21, 15:10

Hi to everyone interested in the solution,

I'm just stunned by what the reason behind this behavior is. IMHO as an experienced software developer it's a real flaw in design.

After trying to decipher the process with Mark Russinovich's (Sysinternals) ProcMon64 I took a look at the EXE with MiTeC EXE Explorer.

There in the strings tab from line 2701 I found the following lines.

As the registry key does not exist I uninstalled FastKeys and reinstalled it without changing the target directory. Because sometimes that's something I do. And I did in this case before.

Guess what happend?

It works because now it resides in "C:\Program Files (x86)\FastKeys 5\" and the result of this IF case returns "0".

Please! Change that! That is a horrible advance to that question if the Enterprise version is already installed. What has an installation to do with the question if some process is running? Give the enterprise and personal version different process names and check the running processes of the system but NOT the name of the installation directory!

Headshaking greetings
Reiner
Marko

Post by Marko » May 8th, ’21, 16:03

Thanks, we’ll check it out. ;)