Building a frequently used list

Discussion, questions and support.
nth

Post by nth » Feb 20th, ’21, 03:05

I've been a long time user of fastkeys personal and have used a bunch of its different features. But, I've got a new challenge that I'm sure fastkeys can help with, I'm just not sure how. So I need some advice.

I'm keeping an ongoing list of project data that contains several columns of information; a project id, project name and project owner column. Rows come and go as new projects are assigned and old ones close out. All told there are probably 50 or so projects I've got to track. I have to frequently search this list by data in any of the columns. Sometimes I need to lookup the project owner, but only know the project id. Sometimes I know just the project id and need to lookup the project name. My point of reference constantly changes, but I need something fast and light that I can pull up via a hotkey and do a quick search, copy out the data I need and then move on. It changes from query to query which piece of data I need.

I'm sure fastkeys can do this, I'm just stuck trying to figure how to build it. There are just so many nifty little features in fastkeys I'm struggling to find the best one.

As I've been doing a bit of review through the documentation I see that the Selection Table or text lookup are promising features. Would those do what I want? If so, those are only available in the Professional version, correct? Is there a way to test this out first, before moving up from a personal license to a professional one?

Thanks in advance!
Marko

Post by Marko » Feb 20th, ’21, 19:35

I believe you should take a look at Table selection or Excel File Lookup macros. Specially Excel File Lookup should allow exactly the flexibility you need - you can search/lookup and output any Excel column(s).

The macros are available in the Trial version. Please contact our support mail for further information.
fbacker

Post by fbacker » Feb 22nd, ’21, 19:04

Good idea. I will try myself.