FastKeys 4.0 Released

Important information, rules and frequently asked questions. Read this first!
Marko

Post by Marko » May 20th, ’17, 18:55

New major version release with many new features and improvements. Please let us know what you think.

What's new in FastKeys 4.0:
May 20, 2017

Release notes:
- Engine optimization,
- Sound notifications,
- File/Restore function - Restore data from backup files,
- Improved error reporting,
- Support for larger Input Selection Forms using scrollbar or by breaking to columns,
- Multiple equal Input/Select variables in the text now only require single user input,
- 'No output' _prefix available for Input/Select variables,
- New Selection Form type - Input,
- DateTime Selection Form can now accept free date and time formats,
- New Popups option: Transparency (%),
- New Popups option: Shadow type,
- New Selection Form option: Show titlebar,
- New Selection Form option: Break to columns to fit the screen,
- New Text Expander option: Use clipboard for Rich Text,
- Increased number of user variables,
- General improvements and bug fixes.

Download FastKeys HERE!
gustms

Post by gustms » May 20th, ’17, 21:35

Thank you for the update!
Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » May 21st, ’17, 11:39

Ooh a major release!!! Thanks for the updates - this is by far the best and simplest utility for my needs, always :)
JoshT

Post by JoshT » May 21st, ’17, 13:01

Temporarily, I can not try the new, fourth version, can you tell me: is the Marking Menu implemented in the new version?
Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » May 21st, ’17, 16:55

JoshT wrote:

Temporarily, I can not try the new, fourth version, can you tell me: is the Marking Menu implemented in the new version?
Why would anyone... I had never heard of them but these look so awkward to use, never mind how they look. I'm all for trying new things but these are simply unworkable with a track pad. When on a mouse shortcuts are much faster to use anyway, and frankly, these solve a non-existent problem.
JoshT

Post by JoshT » May 21st, ’17, 18:19

Why would anyone...
Maya
Alias
Inventor
Blender
Modo
etc.

*sarcasm* Of course, this is absolutely awkward *sarcasm*

Personally, I need this feature for CAD where none MM / Pie Menu. 9 shortcuts (Q, W, E, A, S, D, Z, X, C) * (3 modificators Ctrl, Alt, Shift + 1) * 8 items in MM * 3 mouse button = 864 command.
Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » May 21st, ’17, 18:35

Yup, because you're going to remember 900 gesture paths, no problem.

When I said about shortcuts I meant the menu hotkeys, not actual shortcuts btw.
JoshT

Post by JoshT » May 21st, ’17, 19:27

Gryzor wrote:

Yup, because you're going to remember 900 gesture paths, no problem.
In Modo, on 15 keys with piemenu, i have about 250-300 commands, sooo... yup, remembering few hundred command its not a problem. After a week of use, this becomes a reflex.
Gryzor

Post by Gryzor » May 21st, ’17, 19:36

Sooo... do you have an issue with hundreds of commands or not? In any case, you're the one who mentioned the number of commands, not I. And as I said, I wasn't talking about actual shortcuts.

Plus, from what I've seen on the video, this is not a solution for remembering long and complex commands, but for accessing menus more quickly. How would you organise 900 commands around a radial menu?

While we're on it (the video I mean), it looks like this could only work to the extend it does (saved a second, yay!) with small-depth and small-number of menus.

I could see a modifier (or more) for the context menu that would alter the contents where it could work for more complex things, but again how this would make radial menus a significant process is beyond me.
JoshT

Post by JoshT » May 21st, ’17, 21:35

Gryzor wrote:

Sooo... do you have an issue with hundreds of commands or not?
JoshT wrote:

remembering few hundred command its not a problem
Gryzor wrote:

And as I said, I wasn't talking about actual shortcuts.
I understood, you say about the menu hotkeys, i say radial menu much faster any linear menu.
Gryzor wrote:

Plus, from what I've seen on the video, this is not a solution for remembering long and complex commands, but for accessing menus more quickly.
Not only menus. You can write yourself, very looong and very cooomplex commands.
Gryzor wrote:

How would you organise 900 commands around a radial menu?
Its my problem. No? In addition, 108 radialmenu (~900 commands) is the POTENTIAL number of hotkeys for rm, i can choose the most convenient ones from them. Real number of commands, something about 4-24 on 1 hotkey.
Gryzor wrote:

While we're on it (the video I mean), it looks like this could only work to the extend it does (saved a second, yay!) with small-depth and small-number of menus.
Imagine, in a minute you press / execute - 5 hotkeys / commands - on each you save 1 second.

5 seconds a minute
5 minutes an hour
40 minutes in 8 hours, yay!
~ 3 hours a week, yay!
~ 13 hours in a month, yay!
~ 160 hours in a year, yay!
Gryzor wrote:

I could see a modifier (or more) for the context menu that would alter the contents where it could work for more complex things
To create a context menu, you need to determine context
Gryzor wrote:

but again how this would make radial menus a significant process is beyond me.
You? I dont know.

---

Anyway, i understand, you don't need such a possibility. OK.