Fiction editing help

Share your favorite FastKeys commands
dennishays

Post by dennishays » Mar 8th, ’16, 17:28

I do some freelance editing and use both MS Word's Review feature and also inline editing...and here's where I'm having some difficulty getting FK to do something.

An example: Now is the time [Delete "time" replace with "clock"] -- it's a simple Send shortcut: ^{vk43}{Right}{Space}[Delete "^{vk56}" replace with "%INPUT_Replacement%"]

However, what I want is [Delete "time" replace with "clock"] to be red. (everything between and including the brackets in red). I've tried using Rich Text, but it sends everything. Any ideas? I have quite a few shortcuts like this.

In a related question, I'd like to be able to separate my editing shortcuts from other shortcuts via a folder system or similar:

Editing: shortcut1, shortcut2, shortcut3...
Writing: shortcut4, shortcut5, shortcut6...
other topics/folders.

I looked at other text expansion applications, such as PhraseExpress and PhraseExpander, but they're expensive. However, they do have some organization for phrases.
Tom

Post by Tom » Mar 9th, ’16, 13:14

FastKeys simulates keystrokes just like you would press keys on a keyboard.

There are shortcuts for bold, italic or underline formats and you can send it like this:

Code: Select all

^bThis is bold text.^b
For other formatting you would have to use more complex commands (Type=Command). For example in Word one way would be to use

Code: Select all

SendMode, Event
InputBox, Replacement
Send Normal text.
Word := ComObjActive("Word.Application")
Word.Selection.Font.Color := 0xFF
Send Text in red.
Word.Selection.Font.Color := -0x1000000
Send %Replacement%
Word:=""
I hope you get the idea and you can adapt it to your needs. It would also be possible to make a macro to simulate opening Word font color dialogs etc.
Tom

Post by Tom » Mar 9th, ’16, 13:53

Re your other question: you can use tabs to organize your shortcuts. Right-click on a tab and select New tab. Then you can copy and paste from one tab to another.